Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Snow - Record in Spokane

I figure when Spokane makes the MSN.com page with a title "Cities Dig Out from Record Snow" that it really must be pretty bad here. Ok, I really did not need to be told. The 59.7 inches that we got in December was enough for me! We broke the previous record of 56.9 inches in one month set in January 1950. Of course, we also broke the record with the most snowfall in a 24 hour period earlier this month (new record set 12/17-18 with 19.4 inches in a 24 hour period absolutely blew away the old record of 13 inches set 1/6-1/7 in 1950).
These pictures were taken after some of the snow had melted, but I think you get the idea? The helping-neighbors has been very evident this season. We need to send out a shout to Jon Gordon who helped with a snow blower. Thanks!! And then the neatest thing happened last Saturday. I was getting my mail (standing on the berm leaning DOWN to get into my mailbox) when this big Caterpillar tractor with a plow on the front drove down the street. It was Josh Works. He offered to dig us out of our driveway. He went down our 150 foot driveway and cleared it off in about 10 minutes. What a life saver! Of course it has snowed since (another 8.3 inches on Monday) and it is snowing now. That's the part that is frustrating. You can hardly keep up! (and you cannot find or buy a shovel or snow blower in this town). But I am quite thankful for all those who have helped us out this season!

3 comments:

: ) Paula said...

You know what I thought about when I saw Spokane's record 59.7 inches of December snow? I thought, "So close, dang-it! A full 60 inches would have been so perfect!" How sad is that?

Amy C. said...

Sometimes I miss the snow but after looking at your pictures I've decided that I really don't! It may get hotter than Hades here but at least I don't have to scrape it off my car and driveway! Stay safe!

Wakan Family Blog said...

If we get another 30-50 inches next month, ...send Josh our way will ya?