Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fair

We headed to the fair right after we got home from school/work on Friday. It is an annual event to check out the crafts, photos, animals and fair food. I love second guessing the judges, especially in the craft section. For instance, why did every scrapbook page but one get a blue ribbon. C'mon!! The whole point of judging is to pick the best, right? Not to give everyone the best... Oh well. Audrey likes checking out the professional artists and has a specific artist that she tracks each year. Then we headed over to pick out our food. Audrey & John went for Longhorn BBQ while I tried a new place that served salmon. Pretty tasty, but the best was the coleslaw side (just fresh shredded cabbage but with a scoop of sauce on the top made with pineapple with a cream sauce, perhaps sour cream or mayo or ?). We headed over to the eating area to find a place to sit down. The only tables with spaces were "taken". But then this delightful family waved us over and asked us to sit near them. Bless them!! They were fun to get to know and we really did appreciate being able to set our food down and enjoy our meal. After we finished we got up to throw away our paper plates and saw the Thompson's. We sat by them until they were done eating and then we spent the rest of the evening playing with them. First we headed over to the Tractor Pull!! I'm telling you, if someone said Sam you'll be at the Tractor Pull tonight I would have disagreed, but I had an awesome time!! It really was fun! We watched all the weight classes with the 4x4 trucks and then there was an intermission. So we headed over to the main building. We always have to stop by Debbie's soy candle booth and buy something : ) And I bought one of those funky wrinkly shirts too. Then we went to the frozen banana booth to get my dessert fix. I should have been PAID for all the people that asked me where I got my frozen banana. I was waiting for everyone to get done looking and eating my dessert about 10 feet from the food booth when this adorable 2 or 3 year old just fixated on my banana, never taking her eyes off it. Even after she was well past me. Alas, she did not get one, though her parents did stop in front of the booth. I waited and even hoped for her, but then they moved on. Sorry honey! Then we all headed back to the truck pull as they had all the tricked out vehicles next. You know, the ones where you have to plug your ears because they are so noisy? The ones with up to 2,500 horsepower.

2 comments:

hillari said...

wow, this totally sound like fun! And salmon at the fair?! Ours just always has stuff like funnel cakes, which are good too.

Amy C. said...

I finally took some time to get caught up on your blog and seeing pictures of the fair just takes me back in time! I miss the fair! I miss Longhorn BBQ! Vegas doesn't have a fair altho there is one about an hour north in the spring - but who goes to the fair in the spring? So glad you got to enjoy the fair!