Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lentil Soup

This is by far my favorite thing to whip up in the crockpot and enjoy a few hours later. Easy, easy and super yummy too. And if you don't like lentil, you can sub it into a Split Pea soup or a Navy Bean soup. No need to measure anything. If you want more veggies - toss them in! My sister gave me this recipe a couple of years ago and I love to throw it together right before we leave for church so that when we come home, we open the door to a marvelous smell. Or like today, I run home at lunch time and throw it together so it is ready when we all get home.
GERMAN LENTIL SOUP
1/4 cup chopped onion or I do dry onion flakes if no fresh
1/2 cup chopped celery (or more!)
1/2 cup chopped carrots (or more!)
1 lb fully cooked smoked Polish Sausage (I use the "rope")
Beef Broth (32-64oz worth) depending on how soupy you like your soup
Dash Worcheshire Sauce
1 cup dried lentils
Salt & Pepper to taste

I just put everything in a crock pot and cook on high for abour 4 hours. Just until the lentils are done.

For Split Pea - exchange split peas, chicken broth & bacon
For Navy Bean - exchange navy beans, chicken broth, chunked ham

Enjoy!

No comments: