Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Monsters

I saw this recipe and thought it would be fun to make for my Visiting Teaching treats this month. Here is a picture of how mine turned out:


HALLOWEEN MONSTERS
6 Cups Kix
3 TBS butter (I added a little more)
4 Cups miniature marshmallows
12 drops green food coloring
24 orange circus peanut candies
24 plain M&Ms
Red string licorice, cut into 24 1-inch pieces (I used regular licorice)

Line 2 cookie sheets with waxed paper. Pre measure out cereal. Have all candy mixture set out and ready to go.

In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows; stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in food color. Pour in cereal and mix, stirring until well coated.

For feet, place 2 peanut candies on cookie sheet. Spray inside of 1/2 cup measuring cup with cooking spray. For body, fill sprayed measuring cup with warm cereal mixture; place over feet, releasing cereal mixture and covering back half of feet. Repeat with remaining peanut candies and cereal mixture to make 12 goblins. Immediately attach M&Ms for eyes. Insert licorice for antenna.

Sam's Note: Would have been easier if you had an assembly line going as it started setting up before I could put the M&M's on (so they kept sliding off). And then inserting the licorice - it "moved" the cereal (messing with the shape of the monster) rather than being able to just shove it in. I guess it gave the monsters character...Might have been easier making popcorn balls with the same decorations as popcorn is easier to manipulate? Also, the circus peanuts were hard to find. I spent all last week going to every store I could think of before I found them. Verdict: I probably would not make them again, but they were a hit when I dropped them off, so worth the effort this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are so very cute. I don't know if I ever shared this website with you before, but I like it very much and my daughter Betsie and I have tried lots of the recipes.

http://thisweekfordinner.com/

hillari said...

wow--those turned out super cute! They look kind of like aliens. I don't think I've seen circus peanuts in the store in forever!