Friday, November 22, 2013

Party Night

John and I had a packed but very fun Friday evening. First, I went to a going away party for one of my co-workers (Nancy HR). It started at 5pm on the far north end of town, so I just headed up there after I got off work. We met at Twigg's and had appetizers and socialized. Nancy had been with Safeway for 26 years, so tough for her to say goodbye. I'm glad I went.

While I was at that event, John was home making appetizers for a party we were invited to. Started at 6pm, so I knew we would be fashionably late. John did a great job. Made Turkey Pesto Appetizer Bites and BLT roll ups. I lost track of time, so was later than I expected meeting up with John at our house and then heading up to the Freedland's. It was a birthday celebration for Scott Freedland and John Dubois. Quite a few couples from church were in attendance. We played Pictionary on a white board with words created by the group (that was unique!) and then played a couple rounds of "Mafia" - I'm not very good at that game! A big topic of discussion was BYUtv's Studio C. We have never watched, but sounds like we need to pull it up online to check it out.

Turkey Pesto Appetizer Bites
Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry sheets, thawed
Turkey,  thin sliced
Provolone cheese, sliced
Pesto
Cherry tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves
Thaw the puff pastry sheets according to the package directions (takes about 45 minutes). Unroll the sheet onto a lightly floured work surface, then us a pizza cutter to cut the pastry into 36 small squares. Bake the little squares on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes. Once the pastry squares are baked and cooled, open each square so you have a top and bottom piece (like a sandwich). Spread a layer of pesto on the bottom, add the turkey, provolone and then the top layer. Finish the mini sandwich with fresh basil, a cherry tomato and a toothpick to hold it together.


BLT Roll Ups
10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 & 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup shredded lettuce
4 burrito sized flour tortillas
In a medium bowl, mix softened cream cheese and mayonnaise until fully combined. Add bacon, cherry tomatoes and lettuce. Stir gently until all ingredients are mixed well into the filling. Spread a quarter of the iflling onto each tortilla and roll up tightly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. Slice into 1/2 inch slices before serving.