Friday, March 1, 2013

Denver Day #2

Kathy prepared oatmeal in the slow cooker so we enjoyed that for breakfast this morning with a glass of instant breakfast. Below is the recipe.

SLOW COOKER APPLE CINNAMON STEEL-CUT OATMEAL
2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (2 & 1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
1 & 1/2 cups milk
1 & 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup)
1 & 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter

Coat inside of 3 & 1/2 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approximately 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings if desired.

Later that morning a couple of Kathy's friends came over to do scrapbooking. She has them over on the first Friday of each month. Because I did not pack any of my scrapbooking, I helped Kathy sort school portraits into the proper grade. Sometimes I had good clues (like the receipt in with the pictures) and other times we had to find a few other years to determine which went with which grade.

Afterwards, Cameron, Kathy and I went to Panera Bread. One of my favorite places to eat and I always order a sandwich with soup. Today I tried the Napa Almond chicken salad sandwich but got my favorite soup, broccoli and cheese.


We then headed downtown to go to the Denver Museum of Science and Nature. There were various displays over the course of three levels and we ended up exploring most of the museum and not going to the visiting display. It was an additional $8 and the main museum already had displays of mammoths. Level 3 galleries included Egyptian Mummies, Prehistoric Journey, Birds of the Americas, Explore Colorado, Northern & Rare Birds, Botswana/Africa and South America. Level 2 galleries included Discovery Zone, Expedition Health, North American Wildlife, Edge of the Wild, Bears and Sea Mammals, South Pacific Islands, Australia and North American Indian Cultures. The Expedition Health and Discovery Zone included interactive displays to test strength, endurance, heart rate and a computer readout showing a picture of you today and you in 50 years. And Level 1 included Insects & Butterflies, Gems & Minerals, Space Odyssey and the Museum Shop. There was a display of gem carvings of Russian folklore that I think John would have really enjoyed. The artist had made figurines out of lapis, jasper, sapphire, agate, amethyst, quartz and other precious stones. Had a very good time at this museum. It was extremely interesting.


We went home to drop off Cameron and to get ready for our Girl's Night Out event - a dinner show at the Adams Mystery Playhouse in downtown Denver. The playhouse is located in an old mansion that was built in the late 1880'sand then turned into a mortuary in 1934 (The Day Mortuary) and then sold in 1965 to become the Day Noonan Mortuary. The dinner theater purchased the home in 2006.

This was a total crackup! Dinner included lasagna, green salad with cucumbers & tomatoes and a fresh big bowl of cut fruit (strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple). Bread was on the table and it was buffet style so you could serve yourself and go back for more if you wanted.



We socialized with others at our table during dinner. There were 2 couples and a mom, dad and 17 year old daughter celebrating her birthday. Then the show began. It was called "Murder on a Harley".

1955: The RBMC, a motorcycle club led by Harley Davis, rides into Hollister, California for the annual races. The residents are uneasy, but mostly willing to put up with their visitors. But, trouble starts when first prize is given in the hotly contested "Arden Van Sycle" Motorcycle Rally. Local favorite, Rod Peterbuilt and Harley crossed the finish line at virtually the same time and the judges wait for the picture to be developed to determine the photo finish. Trouble begins when the winner is announced!

The show reminded me a little of "Who's Line is It Anyway due to the crazy amount of improve. The soda jerk (who was the victim of the murder) was also the person who played the police officer who investigated the case. He looked like the guy from Jurassic Park, but reminded me a lot of Don Knotts. He even did the classic things Don did like breathing in deeply or hiking up his pants. In face, someone in the audience hollered to him (like they did in Ghost and Mr Chicken). Anyway, he came over straight to me and started asking me questions (part of the show) but I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe. He said things like "I noticed you looking at me and checking out my pants" and then while I was laughing so hard he said "Get this woman a paper sack". He did the "I'm trying no to smile" thing like Harvey Korman but "Let's see if I can make the other person laugh" like Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett Show. The audience continued to guess who "did it" and then they awarded prizes to the tables who were correct (we were not). But what a fun, fun time!! Please note the tears running down my face in the picture below. Made me laugh so hard I cried. I would definitely do this event again!