Thursday, February 28, 2013

Denver Day #1

Sometime in December Kathy had told me there was a fantastic deal on airfare from Spokane to Denver and I should come down and visit her. She was right - I was able to find a round trip flight, non-stop, for $167.80 round trip, including all taxes & fees. I booked it for Feb 28th through March 5th and had a fantastic time.

Denver Day 1
My flight arrived in Denver at 9:30am and was uneventful. Kathy met me inside the airport and then we went straight to her house to drop off the luggage and get ready for our day. Check out her new guest room.


Our first stop was the Rumbi Grill. I had tasked Kathy with finding restaurants that are not available in Spokane so I would have an opportunity to try new stuff. Rumbi did not disappoint! Everything looked good so we ordered one salad and one burger and shared. The Caribbean Chicken Salad had chicken breast, carrots, black beans, corn, mandarin oranges, pineapple, Rumbi rice, tortilla strips and honey-mustard dressing. It was very tasty. The Kahuna Burger was two beef patties, teriyaki sauce, grilled pineapple, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Kathy ordered Sweet Potato Fries, something I had never had before. What a fun place to eat and thanks to Kathy for treating me to lunch!


Next stop was IKEA. I had never been to one before. What a fun way to explore how furniture and various items would look in a home. The store was huge and seemed to go on and on (there were three levels), but it really was interesting.

We then headed over to pick up Cameron from school but ended up being a little early, so stopped by Target to look around. Cameron had an appointment later that afternoon, so after we picked him up and got home, I went downstairs and read & took a nap. Found a fun book on Kathy's bookshelf to read - and ended up finishing it on my trip.

For dinner we went to a restaurant called Cheddar's which is a McMackin favorite. The restaurant started in Texas and has 5 locations in Texas, Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico. The menu had tons of different choices ranging from beef & fish dishes to salads or burgers. Everyone ordered something different. I got the chicken fried steak. It came with two sides. And it was huge! I could not finish it all though it was delicious. Just could have shared with another and both of us would have been full. Thanks Brian for treating us all to dinner.  What a fun first day in Denver.