Thursday, May 22, 2014

End of Era

I quit my job at Safeway after 27 years. Below are flowers that Kevin Hallenius (Colville) sent to me (via Kevin Whittle at the Argonne store). What an emotional time.... hard to leave the people that are like family to me. I will miss my friends and co-workers! For my sanity I had to quit. My new supervisor made the last month unbearable and it felt like there was a target on my back.


I got a lot of sweet phone calls and emails and personal visits when I announced that I was leaving. Below is one I got from my retired store manager.

Hi Sam,  In the movie Mary Poppins the children asked how long she will stay with them and she agrees to stay "Until the wind changes." The wind is now changing and you are preparing to leave. Thank you for your help, understanding, guidance, friendship, listening to us and giving us a spoonful of sugar just when we needed it! Mary Poppins would be so proud of you!! You've been such a good Nanny to all of us, we're so sad to see you leave..but we've become better children/people/managers because of your tutelage. I have just one concern, what will Bert..er, Brian..do? Again, thank you for all your patience with me over the years, knowing you're not at the district office makes me a little sad! Your work is done here. 

A quote from Bert in Mary Poppins: "Winds in the east, mist coming in./ Like somethin' is brewin' and bout to begin. / Can't put me finger on what lies in store, / But I fear what's to happen all happened before."

For all of us the wind will eventually change, our work will be done and we move on. It should not be sad, we just open our umbrella, catch the wind and move on to other places to begin another chapter! Here's to happiness on wherever the wind sets you down. Always, Rick.