Saturday, October 26, 2013

Fall Activities !

Went to Super Saturday this morning. Each year my sister and I compare notes on what our particular ward is doing and if either of us interested in the other ones projects, we make sure to get them a kit. I was not interested in any of the projects my ward was doing, but Kathy was interested in the JOY blocks. Unfortunately the picture on the sign up sheet and what was presented that day was quite different. The tops of the blocks were 4x6 blocks and looked far too heavy for the spindles they were to be on. So I only painted the spindles and took the blocks home for John. He cut them down to about a 3x4 block and routered a nice edge to them. Definitely looked more in proportion to the spindles. I sent them to Kathy and this is the final project. She ended up putting not only the JOY on the front, but BOO on the back so she could have them on display during Halloween and Christmas.



Since I only had the black spindle portion to paint, I ended up sitting and chatting with Kathy Thompson for the rest of the morning until lunch was served. They had a Pasta e Fagioli soup, green salad, bread and then 4 different spreads to top the bread with. Below are the various spreads.

Spice Apple Cheese Spread
2 cups cream cheese
1 & 1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 c. finely chopped apple
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
2 TB milk
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Ham Cream Cheese
2 c. cream cheese
1 c. sour cream
1/4 tsp garlic powder
5 oz deli ham, chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced

Spicy Jalapeno and Olive Spread
1 block cream Cheese
Jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
Green olives, chopped
1 TB lemon juice

Walnut Raisin
1 block Cream Cheese
Chopped walnuts
Golden raisins
Honey to taste

After a relaxing morning, John and I met up with Marcie and headed to the Incredible Corn Maze at Hauser, Idaho. None of us had every done one before. When we arrived they gave us a map. You could enter in the green, black or blue area depending on if you wanted short, medium or long maze. The older kids went off to explore by themselves while we took the easy route. I was not very good at this! But we did enjoy time with Marcie and her kids! Thanks for a fun fall quarterly activity!!