Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mother/Daughter Brunch and Symphony

Today Audrey and I went to the Senior Laurel's Mother & Daughter Brunch at the Stake Center. This was put on my the Stake Relief Society to welcome all new seniors into Relief Society, either when they turned 18 or when they graduated. It was a wonderful program. We started by having brunch: A Waffle Bar! There was a delicious syrup served that we will have to try at home. Then they had a short program. The theme was "The Snowball Effect" and the room was decorated in silvers and blues. The first speaker (Letha Adams) spoke about how you need a good base of snow to enjoy skiing, and she suggested that our base is something we should always be working on. Then Stacy Julian spoke and shared how the Mommy Blogs are popular with non-LDS folks because we seem happy and with it. But we actually are happy and with it because we know about the gospel. Then Whitney Gummersall concluded. I sure love her! She is so "real" and I made it very interesting for the seniors to want to join the "club"! She talked about how it does not matter what your age is - we have friends in Relief Society who are 25 and 75. And it is a wonderful sisterhood to belong to. Then we did a service project for the Ronald McDonald House before heading home. Look what they made each girl - a SnowBall Ornament:
That evening mom and I had tickets to the symphony - Rodgers and Hammerstein music sung by vocalists Teri Hansen and Nat Chandler. They entered the theatre from the back and stopped to shake hands with audience members, including me because I always have the aisle seat. Fun night listening to music from Carousel, State Fair, The King and I, South Pacific, Sound of Music and Oklahoma!