Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Wicked !!!!!!

A quick funny story first: I had gotten home from a Tupperware party and it was after 9pm, so a time I normally do not make phone calls. John said "Jessie called and wanted to invite you to a wicken event". I stopped. "John, I don't think she meant wicken?" and decided I needed to call Jessie right then so I could get the real story!! She proceeded to tell me about a "Wicked" (the musical) kick off event that she was invited to as she is a member of a tourism organization. It was being presented by Best of Broadway to coincide with the announcement that Wicked is coming to Spokane May 2011. I jumped at the opportunity!

We met and headed down to the INB Performing Arts center where they had a buffet of food in the lobby for the attendees. A "Yellow Brick Road of Cheese" platter, some "Chicken on a Broomstick" skewers, Melon Martinis (for the drinking crowd) and bright green punch (in a cauldron with dry ice) for the rest of us. Then at the top of the stairs they had the "Munchkin" desserts including Lime Bars and Orange Coconut cookies, and lots of chocolate. The center of the table had an ice sculpture with the Wicked Musical logo. Wow! Then we headed into the opera house and heard from the producer of Wicked (he had flown in from New York) as well as musical numbers from the two leading ladies. They also had a video presentation showing the history of how it all came about, with interviews from the director and song writer. And finally, they had a question and answer session with the audience. What a wonderful time! Thanks Jessie for letting me tag along. As we left the building we each got a goodie bag with pen, magnet and download card for a few of the songs.
After I got home and relaxed, I realized I had left my camera in Jessie's car as we were not allowed to bring into the event. So when Dale stopped it by, he had to take a picture when we opened the door: