A friend of mine had a giveaway on her blog. Instead of the normal blog giveaways where you post a quick comment on why you might want a particular set of pans and win only because a random generator picked your number, she asked us to write about stories of service. Not what we have done, but what acts of service where we have been the recipient. She held her giveaway during a week-long media fast and around Easter. Here is what she said: "Why did I chose this kind of theme? I believe it's my way of celebrating Easter. What better way can we celebrate the life of Christ than by serving others and reflecting on how others have helped us? Jesus Christ dedicated his entire life to serving others. He traveled searching for the poor, the needy, the hungry. He healed the sick, comforted the weary and clothed the naked. In the greatest act of service, He sacrificed His life for each of us. His love is pure and perfect. What does it mean to become Christ-like or develop the pure love of Christ? I believe it means to serve others."
So I thought and thought and was not going to enter, but then decided that I was far too blessed not to take the opportunity she provided. Here is what I sent to her:
I have thought about your post for the whole two weeks, but really could not decide what to write about.
Do I write about the time Sister Quick called me up while I was the YW President (and had little Audrey maybe 5 yrs old, was working full-time and husband was in bishopric) and just said "I need to do something for you today, so I will do the YW activity, make the treats and call the girls. You just show up and enjoy." I love that lady!
Or do I write about the time that my neighbors, Randy & Barbara Scott, just brought me over dinner because they knew I needed it. I did not know I needed it, but after they brought it over - they were right as tears came to my eyes.
Or do I write about my sweet buddy Jessie McLaughlin who sang at my daddy's funeral? Or my co-workers (Craig, Brian, Lori, Bill) who literally drove thru 3 feet of snow & heavy storm to attend the funeral even though they had never met my dad. (Or my previous co-worker Becky who drove 2 hours to attend?)
Or do I write about my friend Cheri (Argo) Edwards who helped me (long distance - I was in Provo and she was in Yakima) get over a break-up. That far from home was already hard!
Or my visiting teacher, Sue Adams, who brought me all sorts of wonderful hand-me-down baby items when Audrey was born, and then would come over and say "let's walk and talk" to get me out of the house.
If I could write about everything sweet and nice and wonderful that John does...And all the crap he takes from me - much too much to write. I definitely did a great job in the picking-hubby department.
How about when I was not feeling well and Audrey brought me a glass of water, some Tylenol, adjusted my pillows and tucked me in? What wonderful memories and what a sweet kid.