Spring was pretending to show up for the last couple weeks. It was "sweater" weather and the snow was melting and the sun was shining. In our area with the crazy winters, steep hills and curvy, shaded roadways, many people choose to have studded snow tires. They are legal until April 1st in our state. But there are those who think they should not be allowed. (Might work if we did not get 24" of snow in 24 hours and the entire road budget was blown in December, but I digress). Because of this "nay-to-studded-tire" sentiment, I was feeling a little guilty as I was clicking along a couple weeks ago on dry pavement. Being the optimistic person I am, I figured Spring was HERE and so I had John and Audrey put my regular tires on about 5 days ago.
Well... we had a fast, furious & wet snowstorm today. They CLOSED the 3 roads on my route home (plus many more) and there were 145 reported accidents by 4pm that day. I was coming down a hill and attempted to stop (at least 5 car lengths before) but just kept sliding.
I would have been able to stop if I had the studs on. I could feel the difference in my traction and control today compared to the rest of the winter.

So for my family's safety and my personal budget (2 new headlights!), I will leave my studded snow tires on up to 11:59 on April 1st next year. And not feel guilty.