Monday, January 26, 2009

Heard in the Carter Home

A: Can I turn the heat up?
M: What is it at now?
A: 58 degrees
M: You may turn it up, 2 degrees
A: Sweet!

John told me that they featured this family on the NATIONAL news this week. They had made a decision to turn down their heat in their home to 68 degrees. And they were featured on the news? C'mon! Where is your adventure?? We keep our house at 60 degrees and have for pretty much our entire marriage (20 years). Reminds me of the fireside chats when President Carter was in the White House and we were in the midst of the energy crisis. He'd sit in a chair in front of the fire place urging Americans to wear a sweater and turn down the heat. I have to plan on wearing short sleeve shirts when I go visit some folks' house so I don't just melt from the heat. I don't keep my heat at 60 degrees to necessarily save energy (though that is a by-product), it's always been about cutting costs and living within our means.

2 comments:

: ) Paula said...

You have GOT to be kidding me! I think it's great for your energy bill and everything, but I couldn't do it. I'm all about wearing sweaters, but I've come to the conclusion that my body spent too many years without extreme temperature changes to deal with the cold. And that's 90% of my time spent indoors, don't make me go skiing or be outside for hours and hours in the winder. I can't handle it. Maybe next winter I should stow away in the Black's luggage--think anybody would miss me?!?

Tell Audrey we hover around 69-70 degrees and she has a standing invitation to sleepover here if she gets too cold!

Dot said...

Brrrr... I am glad I don't live at your house!
We used to keep our thermostat at 62 degrees and wear sweatshirts and cuddle with blankets when watching TV, but that was before we had kids. We now keep our house fairly warm, partly because our kids don't always keep their clothes on very well and we don't want them to freeze. LOL.