Thursday, April 24, 2014

Swap Meet

The Relief Society had a Swap Meet this evening. You could bring items you did not want anymore and you could go through the items that other people brought. Whatever was left over at the end of the evening would be donated to charity. But before that portion of the activity, they had asked me to speak on organizational skills and how I keep my home clean all the time. I had to clarify - my house is "tidy", it is not "clean". It won't pass the white glove test (ever), but it certainly stays tidy most of the time with help from John and Audrey.

Below are a few things I mentioned during my presentation. In addition, I demonstrated how I fold my sheets, something they specifically asked me to share. Nothing really new, I'm sure others do this too. I fold the fitted sheet (with all 4 elastic corners together), then fold the pillow cases, then fold the flat sheet until just about done. Then I lay the fitted sheet and the pillow case bundles onto the flat sheet and roll into a bundle. I also shared our chore chart since when we clean the house each week, it is a family affair.

I actually love a show on ION network called NEAT. Host Hellen Buttigieg, a professional organizer, helps people make space for what matters most. She helps people with cluttered living spaces devise solutions to both organize their lives and possessions more effectively. She usually has them pare down their possessions in half. There were only 3 seasons, so you have to catch it on reruns.

NEAT tips

  • 1 in, 1 out rule
  • Purge = 50% to make a difference
  • Sort items - Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow and you guessed it - keep only the Today items.
  • Don't keep duplicates
  • Ask yourself when was the last time you used it
  • Decide space size. Don't buy a new container when the other gets full.
  • Wake up and make your bed

My personal favorite tip? Go help someone move. You'll be motivated to de-clutter something when you get home, no matter how organized or tidy you are.