Thursday, January 24, 2013

A few weeks in January

On the 15th (a Tuesday), Audrey and I went out to Cheney to have lunch with John and to see where he works. We ended up not finding a parking spot and called him to meet us on the street. So today we did not see "where" he worked exactly, but saw the outside of the Showalter building : )   We went to downtown Cheney and ate at the Willow Spring Station. Not sure if the owners are the same, but I remember eating here when I was in high school (1982-85) during an all-day music festival. I had the Reuben, Audrey had a Belgian waffle and John ordered something called the Hook-Up - a hot ham, turkey, Swiss and pineapple sandwich. (The restaurant has a train theme). I had taken today off as a vacation day and it was a fun way to spend the day!

On the 19th & 20th we had our Stake Conference. My favorite talk was from the Mission President's wife, Melonie Mullen. She spoke about when she did not always love to go to the temple (thought a duty). It was nice to hear how she came to love to go to the temple. Enjoyed hearing from Brother Ely (shared a bridge story) and Brother Halverson (shared 1960 New Zealand mission story). They announced a new building that would be constructed at Barker & 11th. The purchase was finalized but no construction date planned yet, but they reflected on the fact that the stake was formed in 2001 and look how much growth has happened since that time.

Later in the week Audrey and I went shopping. Found this fun sign!


And finally, on the 24th we had root beer floats and milkshakes in honor of Grandpa Gramlow (for Audrey) and my dad (for me). He passed away on 1/24/2008. One thing we remember him for was his awesome shakes and treats. Homemade eggnog when I was growing up comes to mind.