Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kathy Whisler Funeral


My Grandma passed away on January 18th, 2011. She was born on January 21, 1923 in Hereford, Texas. Her funeral was today in Riverside. My sister Kathy (her namesake) was able to come into town and stay with us for a few days to be able to attend the funeral. I was asked to play the organ for the services. We sang "peppy songs" at the funeral because Grandma always enjoyed when hymns were played at the correct tempo (vs. the sometimes "dirge" that they are played at) and enjoyed the peppier numbers. I was honored to play as Grandma was the one that taught me how to play the piano when I was very young. She would drive into town and give me lessons, before I was even in Kindergarten.

Going to Grandma's house in Elk was always an adventure. I loved that she provided for almost everything on their farm (eggs, cows, chickens). She had a huge garden and would make the yummiest Mustard Pickles. She cured and smoked her owns meats and made homemade sausage. She would come into town to buy a 50# of brown sugar and a couple other staples (salt, baking powder), but for the most part everything else came from her land.

Besides being a wonderful pianist, she had beautiful flower gardens, sewed and would also crochet lovely items. I have a tablecloth and a runner for my piano that she made (on my request).

A couple of my favorite memories: Grandma floating down the Little Spokane River in an inner-tube with us one summer. Buying penny candy from the little store in Camden when we visited. Being pulled in a wagon or sleigh by her horses. Dancing around the piano in the evening while Grandma played songs. Drinking just-milked-from-the-cow fresh milk in Tupperware cups with ice cubes (to cool it down). Making homemade marshmallow eggs for Easter by covering the counter-tops with flour, making an egg indentation with a real egg, pouring in the marshmallow mixture and then dipping them in chocolate. Heading literally over the river & through the woods to Grandma's house for all the holidays and eating delicious meals to include soft fluffy rolls, celery with pimento and cheese, mashed potatoes & gravy all served on clear blue bubble dishes.

Will miss you Grandma!